Graphic Facilitation Training ONLINE in 2021
Do you spend a lot of your time in meetings wondering, “What is this meeting about? Is this the best use of our time?”
That doesn’t sound fun. Drawing Change can show you a better way. We want you to create meetings with more belonging and connection – using visual facilitation and graphic recording. And of course, this new training will be held online!
Our foundational workshop will help you hone your listening and drawing skills to make meaning, increase collaboration, and solve problems. No pre-recorded videos – this is a small group learning environment with 3 trainers, and a max of 12 participants.
May 15 -17, 2021 online. SOLD OUT On May 15 and 16, 9am to 4pm with 4-5 hours of instruction each day, Pacific Standard Time; plus May 17th from 9-11:30am PST
October 10 -12, 2021 online. SOLD OUT On Oct 10 and 11, 9am to 4pm with 4-5 hours of instruction each day, Pacific Standard Time, plus Oct 12th from 9-11:30 PST
What will I learn in this ONLINE graphic facilitation training?
- Expand your leadership tool-box with visual superpowers
- Learn how to include diverse voices in meetings
- Develop your capacity to distill information
- Sharpen your tools to have more effective meetings
- Hone your creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Have deep conversations about working wisely with visuals and cultural safety
What does the agenda cover?
Before Day 1: Optional online social the evening before the workshop
Day 1: Focus on Graphic Recording
- Building your visual vocabulary (even if you think you “can’t draw”)
- Lettering five ways: bring your flip charts to the next level
- Layouts and how to structure the page
- Hands on-practice
- Overview of the field, including conversations about ethics, power, and responsibilities
- Resources for your success
Day 2: Focus on Graphic Facilitation
- Visual tools for facilitating meetings – drawing and talking
- Choosing the right tools
- Co-creating the agenda
- Talking circle about cultural safety and visuals, led by a guest graphic facilitator
Day 3: Lab (optional, but included in the ticket price – free bonus! )
This is more chance to practice, from 9 am until 11:30am. This is your chance for supportive feed-forward and an opportunity to integrate all of your learning. We will practice graphic recording in a supportive environment, answer your business questions and create your action plan. This used to be a separate ticket for our in-person sessions, and we’re including it with the online training now.
Who should attend?
This workshop is for facilitators, educators, managers, and innovators – anyone who finds themselves working with groups (isn’t that everyone?). You don’t need to be a super-sketcher to be able to communicate visually. If you’ve ever drawn two overlapping circles to explain something, you’re already using visual thinking. This workshop will enhance how you connect ideas, listen and create visual summaries for meetings and events. Our workshops generally attract people who want a unique approach to using visuals with a lens of diversity, inclusion, and equity, as well.
- FULL KIT of drawing supplies valued at over $100. A really generous kit of markers and supplies so you can start your visual practice right away. We’re going to mail you paper to work on, and you can bring an ipad / tablet if you like
- Two full days of online instruction, an optional virtual social, and an optional day 3 lab
- Supportive coaching and facilitation from Sam and a guest facilitator
- Opportunity for a talking circle about cultural safety and visuals led by guest facilitators
- Templates, handouts, a book of icons, and resources created by Drawing Change
- Two exclusive Neuland® Ambassador gifts
- A new network of visual practitioners to support you after the course!
What does the training cost?
- The FIRST 6 spaces get the Early Bird Rate for 2020: $1500 Canadian + GST
- 6 spaces for Regular Rate: $1950 Canadian + GST
- Payment plan options available by request. Please contact: email@example.com.
What if I can’t afford the full rate?
Too many professional development opportunities are only for those who can afford it – and cost shouldn’t be a barrier for making the world a better place.
Drawing Change wants to spread our skills to people working in community, grassroots, and social justice movements. That’s why we offer community scholar spots, and give priority to self-identified Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour folks who are under 30(ish). Applications for the October workshop will open in July, it comes with $500 of paid work afterwards, and the mentorship after the workshop will be with a non-white graphic facilitator. Community scholars share what organization/movements they’re a part of, and what their plans are to share these skills afterwards.
Looking for tips to ask your employer to help fund your training? We wrote a letter to help on our website.
Join us! we can’t wait to meet you.
PS: And if you’re curious … will this work on Zoom? for the last year, Sam and the team have been graphic recording and facilitating for groups around the world. Sam has facilitated meetings of up to 950 people at a time, so we’ve got a great handle on how to make online learning fun and engaging. This intimate learning environment is going to be fun, and a safe place to try learning new things together!