Advanced Graphic Facilitation Training – 2024
Calling all visual practitioners! Our new course is here – Advanced Graphic Facilitation
June 22, 23, and 24 2024: a 3 day deep dive for visual practitioners who have a solid 2+ years of experience. If you’re ready to take your graphic facilitation to the next level – then this is for you. I want your graphic facilitation to be unmistakable, and unforgettable.
“Is this really for me? The word Advanced is stressing me out?”
- Think of this as Intermediate or Advanced – The idea is to go from Beginning to something more. Don’t stress about the word Advanced. We want to create a space for visual practitioners with 2+ years of experience who want to accelerate their career or who are ready to learn more
- If you’re a visual practitioner with more experience who want a mini-retreat to focus on a particular part of your practice, get small group support around unique challenges, talk shop with your community, all in a supportive environment for your growth and learning – this is for you
- If you’re a visual practitioner who wants to energize your own practices – this is for you
- If you’re mostly self-taught and doing great, but y0u’re wondering what you might not know, or want to meet more community – this is for you
- This course is not a competition and there’s no application process. If you want to learn and grow, you’re invited.
What you’ll learn in the Advanced Graphic Facilitation Course:
- Improve your live graphic recording with better lettering, layouts and synthesizing techniques
- Clearly articulate your unique, big Why for this work
- Expand your drawing strategies beyond icons and into models and more
- Understand and articulate different types of listening
- Offer and receive peer coaching on unique questions you have
- Demonstrate different visual approaches and processes (strategic planning, journey mapping, dialogic work, and more)
- Identify business opportunities to refine, expand or diversify your offerings
- Understand scoping, foundational business practices, and your own criteria for right-fit projects
- Engage in wider conversations about the field of visual practice as it relates to self, teams, organizations, social change and worldviews
- Define and maintain a healthy and balanced practice
- Reflect on your personal strengths and gifts that sustain you in this work
- Talk shop for 3 days with people who get it, and who get you
Course delivery: in person
- Hands-on practice, short presentations, group discussions, reflection in a supportive context.
- In-person session: Small group, max of 8 participants
- Paper based graphic recording setup. You’re welcome to bring digital tools
- There will be a pre-survey to find out the learning goals of participants and an option to do a 30 min meeting with me online so I can customize the training
What’s included? Ooh, what’s in the kit?
- Kits valued at $200 – they will include: basic supplies and Neuland markers for the course (eg outliners in different sizes, plus a few colours and special marker sizes/ nibs) to supplement your existing tools
- Custom Drawing Change materials including a brand-new 200 page resource book !
- Neuland swag – free marker gifts for you, and a discount Neuland Ambassador code for you in their store
- Social Friday night (optional, but even as an introvert I find this helpful to get to know people)
- Workshop Saturday and Sunday 9am-4pm, Monday 9-2pm
- Supportive coaching and facilitation throughout
- Lunch, snacks and beverages
- And a new network of visual practitioners to support you after the course!
Where is the training?
Our workshop will be held at the Carousel Theatre for Young People, a performing arts theatre in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada. The space is near the entrance of Granville Island (not really an island!), which is a hub of activity and an amazing and creative district with theatres, artisan workshops and craft studios. The space we’re in has huge windows, high ceilings, single-stall washrooms, and is near to all sorts of great options for food.
What does the Advanced Graphic Facilitation Training cost?
The 2024 Advanced, in-person course is $3000 CAD + GST, plus Eventbrite fees.
If you want to skip the Eventbrite fees, you can pay by e-transfer in Canada or US wire. Email us for details. Payment plans are available, we just ask that it be paid by the time the course starts.
- You can cancel with full refund minus any processing fees up to 60 days before the course
- Cancellation 30-59 days before the course is a refund minus 20%, unless you transfer it to someone else
- Cancellation up to 29 days: no refund possible unless you transfer it to someone else.
Meet the Trainer: Sam Bradd
Hi! I’m Sam Bradd. I’m a graphic facilitator, meeting facilitator, and the Principal of Drawing Change. I combine 25 years’ facilitation experience with visuals to help groups unlock their creativity and truly lead. Since 2010, I’ve taught hundreds of people how to do graphic recording and graphic facilitation – and I’m excited to be in this advanced course with you. I like creating creative spaces where people feel empowered, not competitive – and find their own style.
My formal education includes an MEd in Educational Studies (UBC), undergrad in Women and Gender Studies, certification in Human Systems Dynamics and I’m a Dialogue Associate with the SFU Centre for Dialogue. When facilitating, I aim for approaches that are strengths-based, creative, and use an intersectional and anti-racism lens. As a graphic recorder, I’ve worked in 11 countries, with the World Health Organization, and groups working to change the world. I co-edited two books and am a co-founder of the award-winning Graphic History Collective. I’m a white settler of Italian and Scottish background, and live on unceded Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh territories.
Timing: in person
Before Day 1: short evening social, Friday night. A low-pressure way to get to know each other, and it jumpstarts our learning the next day. We pick a restaurant close the venue, I buy appetizers and it’s especially nice to meet the people from out of town.
Saturday Day 1: 9 – 4pm In person workshop, lunch and snacks provided
Sunday Day 2: 9 – 4pm In person workshop, lunch and snacks provided
Monday Day 3: 9 – 2pm In person workshop, lunch and snacks provided
Join us! We can’t wait to meet you.
Questions? email us at email@example.com