Our new book
Visual practice is growing, and it was time for an anthology.
Drawings give shape to our ideas and reframe what is possible.
Drawn Together through Visual Practice gives voice to the field of visual thinking as the range of its practice dramatically expands. Curious observers, bold beginners, and expert facilitators alike can now come together to:
- Share cross-disciplinary and regional perspectives
- Surface and approach the complex puzzles of our time
- Reflect on core human connections and communication
Twenty-seven advanced practitioners contribute to this volume, sharing experience-based methods and insights.
Drawn Together Through Visual Practice is co-edited by Brandy Agerbeck, Kelvy Bird, Sam Bradd and Jennifer Shepherd.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
This anthology contains exciting and varied contributions to the growing literature on visual language and its power to “draw us” together. The authors offer a wide range of experience, powerful illustrations and the core message that visual language enables us to learn, think, and grow in new ways – especially when considering the complex relationships that words alone can’t illuminate. Drawn Together through Visual Practice reflects the power of this field to help transform organizations and communities in life-affirming ways.
YOU’LL LOVE IT IF …
You’re a leader in facilitation, conflict mediation, engagement or education – and using visual processes to establish common ground. You’ll also love it if you are a graphic facilitator/graphic recorder, and want to hear more about what practitioners are thinking about our field right now.
Download a free chapter here from Drawn Together Through Visual Practice, co-edited by Brandy Agerbeck, Kelvy Bird, Sam Bradd and Jennifer Shepherd.
order it now
Table of contents
- Making Room for Making: In praise of imperfect drawings and the humans who make them, Brandy Agerbeck
- Drawing-to-Learn: A general studies course for first-year college students, Dr. Laurence Musgrove
- In Front of the Wall, Alfredo Carlo
- Visual Improvisation: How improvising influences my sketchnoting, Eva-Lotta Lamm
- Solo-Practitioner Partnerships, Lisa Arora and Robert Mittman
- Sensemaking through Arts-Infused, Person-Centred Planning Processes, Aaron Johannes
- Dancineering, Researchals, Bodystorming, and Informances, Christopher Knowlton
- Stories and Storytelling, Anthony Weeks
- The Secret to Long-Term Impact in Your Engagements, Mary Alice Arthur
- Using Perspectives to Build a Practice, Bryan Coffman
- Cultivating Cultural Safety: The visual practitioner’s role in motivating positive action, Sam Bradd
- The Use of Imagery in Conflict Engagement, Aftab Erfan
- Steady, to Scale, Kelvy Bird
- A Learning Journey: Connecting Self to Planet, Stina Brown
- Sharing a Dia Experience, Claudia Madrazo
- Embodied Mark-Making: The Big Brush Experience, Barbara Bash
- Discovering Wisdom Within and Between: How Storyboards, Portraits, and Visual Explanations Can Help Us Learn to Solve the Puzzles of our Time, Jennifer Shepherd
- Sensemaking, Potential Space, and Art Therapy with Organizations:
Moving beyond language, Michelle Winkel
- Kinesthetic Modeling: Re-learning how to grope in the dark, John Ward
- Becoming a Visual Change Practitioner, Nevada Lane
- Four Mindsets of a Visual Ecology in the Workplace: Re-Visioning Language Through Visual Thinking, Misha Mercer
- Rigorous Design of Visual Tools that Deepen Conversations and Spark New Insights, Christine Martell
- Imagery That Travels Well: Making yourself understood across cultures with the help of visual language, Peter Stoyko
- The Thermal Lift of Visualization: How the bikablo® approach empowers people in visual thinking, learning and co-creation, Martin Haussmann
- Bridging on the Rise, Jayce Pei Yu Lee
- When We Cannot See the Future, Where Do We Begin?, Bob Stilger
- Reflection and Visual Practice, Jennifer Shepherd and Sam Bradd